Exhibition Focus – Supporting Businesses in Across the Centreline
Image: R.D. Northcott Service Station, Patea.
The transport industry has many supporting businesses that operate to ensure vehicles are kept in prime condition for everyday use.
Petrol stations are the most obvious. In 1912, the very first garage managed by F. V. Jenkins opened in Pātea. Mr Jenkins was also a car and motorcycle salesman. Since then, at least six garages / petrol stations have been established in Pātea on various sites. The Star Garage was opened in 1920 and is now Jim Baird’s Car Museum. The Pātea Service Station was at the site of the current BP station. Universal Motors sold petrol years ago, but now only retain the repair shop. There were two other petrol stations situated at each end of Bedford Street. One stood where the Firestone Tyres shop is now, and the other has been closed since the 1980s.
For more about this exhibition view the catalogue below.