Exhibition Focus – McCarty and Hunger in Across the Centreline
Image: McCarty and Hunger workers standing outside shop c1900, reproduced with permission from McCarty and Hungers.
McCarty and Hunger
The business of McCarty and Hunger started in 1878. Jack McCarty was a skilled farrier – “what he did not know about a horse’s foot was not worth knowing.” Rudolf Hunger had previously worked for the Taranaki Ironsand Company in New Plymouth and in Patea he set a new standard in mechanical engineering. They handled everything from ship repairs to motor vehicles and built all kinds of wagons and buggies. McCarty and Hunger has changed with different trends in transport and continues to operate today as an engineering firm.
For more about this exhibition view the catalogue below.