Patea District Pipe Band Drum
ARTEFACT OF THE WEEK: Today’s artefact depicts a drum from the Patea District Pipe Band. The Patea And Waverley Districts Pipe Band was formed in 1946. Norman MacKay ( who donated the drum to the Museum in 2003) was a founding member, and he joined at the age of 14. In their heyday, the Pipe Band played bi-weekly on Fridays at Patea and Waverley. They performed at the annual Ngamatapouri Sports Day, and competed all around New Zealand. They purchased the Patea Billiards Saloon of Bob Adams (Patea Motors) of which became the Band Hall, and was situated north of Firestone Tyres. Unfortunately the band’s cups, instruments and other valuables were lost due to a series of burglaries in the early 1990s. About 1997, the Band Hall was demolished. If you know more information about this artefact that would be useful for our catalogue, contact the museum on 0800 111 323 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki Heritage Collection, with reference to: 2003.034.2.