ARTEFACT OF THE WEEK: Today’s artefact depicts a New Zealand shilling, twenty of which made up one New Zealand pound. These were first issued in 1933 and featured the image of a Maori warrior carrying a taiaha “in a warlike attitude” on the reverse. The warrior is based on a photograph of local chief Tutange Waionui, the founder of Pariroa Pa situated 2.2 km inland from Kakaramea. In 1967, New Zealand’s currency was decimalised and the shilling was replaced by a ten cent coin of the same size and weight. Smaller 10-cent coins were introduced in 2006. If you know more information about this artefact that would be useful for our catalogue, contact the museum on 0800 111 323 or email@example.com, Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki Heritage Collection, with reference to: 2010.020.1.
Published by Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki
Aotea Utanganui is a purpose-built museum that embodies the spirit and energy of the South Taranaki region. The museum plays an active role within our community both today and for the future. A museum that is welcoming and inspirational while striving towards excellence in research, curatorship, preservation and educational engagement. A modern museum with ambitious future plans, prepared to embrace the digital age. We achieve this through: Collaboration, Creativity, Innovation & Flexibility View all posts by Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki