Today’s photograph depicts taxi’s at the Patea Railway Station after the Whenuakura Bridge washout, 1922. The Whenuakura bridge crosses the Whenuakura River between Rangikura and Patea, on the Marton-New Plymouth section. The original bridge, constructed of native timber in about 1880, consisted of two 60ft. trusses and nine 20ft. beam spans, all carried on high timber piers. One of the main piers and the two 60ft. truss spans were carried away in a heavy flood in January 1922. A temporary reconstruction carried the traffic at a reduced speed. The wash-out in 1922 was mainly due to a log jam between the bridge piers, and the new main span has been made long enough to prevent any such blockage in future. For more information about this subject click here. If you know more about this photo, or to order a copy, contact the museum on 0800 111 323 or email@example.com, Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki Heritage Collection (01.387).
Published by Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki
Aotea Utanganui is a purpose-built museum that embodies the spirit and energy of the South Taranaki region. The museum plays an active role within our community both today and for the future. A museum that is welcoming and inspirational while striving towards excellence in research, curatorship, preservation and educational engagement. A modern museum with ambitious future plans, prepared to embrace the digital age. We achieve this through: Collaboration, Creativity, Innovation & Flexibility View all posts by Aotea Utanganui Museum of South Taranaki